Friday, March 10, 2017

AyaBEKKOUCHE/itemB2p24/Wed1-2

As the oldest child of my family, I am supposedly, more responsible and more conscious of the adult life waiting for me at an earlier age than my other siblings. Which puts me under the pressure of pulling off the impression of myself as a child and act more like a parent. I also have a tendency to believe that I am better than my brother at a lot of things and that I fit better in most the situation I am put through. Presumably reserved and independent but also in need for everything to be perfect with an anxious behavior that prevents me from making friends easily. I am more content with fewer people if not one companion so visibly the best match for me would be a youngest, that way I could act like a leader and wouldn't have to let go of my parental nature and it would be natural for me to take care of my supposed partner.

What Forer and Withers have to say about my personality as the oldest child of my family is correct but only to a certain extent.  Denying all of this would be equivalent to lying. First, it is true that I am a bit perfectionist and I do worry too much and overthink everything which leads to stress, anxiety and reluctance into taking initiative. However, I have no particular struggle to approach people or socialize with people. Although I do feel the need to isolate myself and stay alone for a while after spending too much time with friends and that no matter how good that time might have been, I like having friends and I wouldn't say that it is hard for me to make them. Second I do have a bit of a high ego and criticism does dent my pride at first, but with time I always try to listen to what I am accused of being or doing too much and accept it. Third, I am quite confident about my abilities, but I am also very realistic about it. So even if I assume that I fit better than X or Y in certain situations I try to stay realistic and have no problem admitting when someone is better at dealing with something better than I am. Even when I didn't think so at the beginning. When it comes to how big a role my birth order plays in a relationship I admit that I feel more comfortable when I control, lead and nurture all at once. But, as far as I am concerned, and that might be totally irrelevant, I think that a relationship is not about finding the best match for you but finding someone you care about enough to change some aspects of your temper and personality in order to match them. Obviously they would have to do the same thing for you in order for the relationship to work. But that's just the cheesy thought I had while reading the text. Most of what is stated in the readings is relevant and logical but as every family lives under different circumstances, circumstances that Forer and Wither obviously cannot cover all, there are some distinctions that shouldn't be left out.   


Aya Bekkouche / 베쿠시 에야

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I am Christina Woo from your class!
    I agreed with a lot of your examples and thoughts.
    There were some words that were new to me that I had to search through the dictionary.
    You mentioned that you are realistic. I strongly agreed to that. It quickly reminded me of my older brother. He is one of the most realistic person that I know of.
    I enjoyed reading the part about relationship. It sounds like a good quote/reminder to me. "It isn't about finding the best match, but to find someone you care enough of."
    I read that same line over and over again.
    I strongly agree with your last sentence that every family lives under different circumstances!
    All was good, but if there's one thing that I can advise you of, it would be better if you could organize it a little bit more. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aya!This is Sunyoung from your class!
    Actually I put my additional effort to look for your writing.
    Because I saw your comments on Chistina's writing first, and i was so impressed by it. You could've made it just another typical comment to get points, but you didn't. You tried to point out good parts and also those parts which you think could've been done better. So impressive!

    Anyway, back to main points!
    As I am the only child, i didn't know the struggles or characteristics the first child would have, but i could experience it indirectly through your writing. And like Christina said above, your sentence about a relationship comes into my mind and left an impressive trace! It can always be a good reminder whenever I'm in any kind of relationship.

    I really appreciate your effort for your writing and thanks a lot for sharing such a good thought!

    ReplyDelete