Sunday, March 12, 2017

Seonghwan Cho / Chapter 1 Part 5 B2 / Wed 1~2

Both readings written by Forer and Withers deal with how birth order can have an impact on one's own life. More specifically, Forer talks about interactions between children and parents, and images that children have of themselves and others in accord with birth order. Withers introduces a general personalities, and then what kind of couples can be best and worst with regard to birth order. I think both are plausible but not scientific.

 

As an only son, there are some descriptions I can agree to. It says the only child tends to prepare the situations where parents are absent due to working or other reasons. And the only child feels relaxed when alone, but is good at adapting to a new social interaction. I think so too, because I actually do so. I think I need to take care of myself, since I can't get a help from parents or friends whenever I want. Also I feel comfortable when alone but don't have a difficulty making a new relationship with others.

 

Considering only this aspects, we may say the readings are plausible. Our personality is made with social interaction. And family members are the first people we interplay with. Birth order can affect this interaction greatly. So It looks very reasonable.

 

However. It is unscientific. The reason why I say so is It's a matter of social science. the nature of social science is probability and speciality. It means due to the individuality of human, the phenomenon can be observed at some circumstances but not must be like that. we can say many exceptions. Even I can be the exception. According to the readings, the only child tends to maintain the child role even after being adult. But I want to be a independent adult as soon as possible. Consequently, birth order might be able to be a factor that affects our personality and real life, but we cannot specify it like a science theory.

 

- Seonghwan Cho / Chapter 1 Part 5 B2 / Wed 1~2 - 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm Jeeny Jung from the same class. I found your writing interesting because you had a different view from me. The reason why you disagreed with the readings was because of the matters of social science, which I've never thought of. Also I liked the paraphrasing because they were speicific. Thank you for sharing you writing~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ho Seounghwan! I'm your classmate Hyun Seo. It was interesting that although you thought these articles are not reliable, you found the plausible aspect. And I also thought that these articles are lack of concrete feagures or scientific clues. Also your use of examples made your writing more easy to understand. Thank you for writing nice essay!!

    ReplyDelete