Sunday, March 12, 2017

Eunseo Kim/chapter 1 part 5 B2/ Wed 1,2

           The passages written by Forer and Wither depict how birth order can form one's characteristics, and further on causing the best or worst matches between couples. Forer claims that children are bred differently from their parents and are affected by the birth order; whether the child is the first, last, or even the only child in the family. Wither, in his writing, asserts that such characteristics that are formed by the difference in birth order effects people in finding their best matches. Most of the statements are reasonable, but cannot be fully agreed.

           That first children are independent and burdened while the last ones are less able may be applicable in many families. First children, when their younger siblings are born, most likely learn responsibility to take care of them. As they grow up, they tend to look over their sibling and also live up to their parents' expectations. Due to such environment, they become mature quicker than their peers. On the other hand, youngest siblings from their birth have a company that they can rely on. They are cared by more experienced parents, together with the older siblings. As a matter of fact, this is true for most families. Many studies showed that first children tend to be self-reliant and mature, while the youngest children play the baby.

           However, it is an overgeneralization to say that all families are affected by birth order. To mention about my case, I am the first child of my family, having a younger brother. My parents were easy-going on me so that I can be less burdened as a first child. I was allowed to do most of the things I want to do, and take less care of my younger brother. On the other hand, my brother was more introverted than I am, which made my parents hover over my brother more. After years of not-so-different care of my parents, my brother and I seem to have so significant difference and characteristics upon our birth order. I sometimes tend to be more emotional while my brother seems to be quite mature compared to his age.

           There is more than birth order; many other factors such as school and friends that affect children's characteristics. It can be dangerous to believe in such hierarchical characteristics, as it can act as a frame to force children to act in such ways. First children can be dependent and the youngest can also be competent. Birth order cannot solely be a defining factor to children's characteristics.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm Ye Eun in same class with you.
    I agree with your opinion very much.
    I think so too. Birth order can't decide one's personality.
    Your case is very interesting.
    I can have an opportunity to feel again that there are many various families thanks to your case that you described.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EunSeo i'm Yejee
      I got to read your piece because you have mentioned about your relationship with your brother and how different personalities you guys have. I think we all look in the same perspective that nothing can be frame or determine one's personality. So many things that can affect us and the way we think and see. I can't agree with you more about the topic and I liked how you organized your structure with clarity.
      It is important to see people the way that they are and not to judge them by stereotypical 'birth role personalities'.

      Delete