Sunday, March 26, 2017

Hyobin Jeon/ Chapter 2 Part 2 B1/ Wed 1~2

Can you understand why Esther killed Laurence? Can you accept that she did so?

 

    First of all, to explain the situation of this story briefly, Esther is the daughter of pagan Indian. Father Paul, who tried to separate her from pagan influence, had twofold attitude for her and finally she came to know that truth. Being largely shocked for that, she killed Laurence, who is a nephew of Father Paul and denied his love for her because of the fact that she is the a daughter of pagan Indian.

 

    Isn't it obviously enraged situation where a boy who said "I love you" suddenly changes his mind because a girl is the daughter of pagan Indian? This would be very shocking for Esther. So I can understand the reason why she killed Laurence. Because I have not experienced true love, I can't definitely know about feelings she had at that moment, but I can understand to some extent how she was miserable and furious.

 

    Also, in my opinion, love for Laurence is not the only factor affecting Esther to kill him. Father Paul was the most supporting person for her in the past. When she overheard the conversation between two men, a sense of betrayal that she felt would be enormous. So, her thought that she had been left out by her precious one also affected Esther's desire to want to kill Laurence.

 

    For these two reasons, betrayal of her loved one and her most supporting man, I can understand why Esther killed Laurence. (But, if I were in her situation, I would not kill anybody!)

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Hyobin. I'm Hye-ri from your morning class.
    You chose the topic same as me! I read your writing so interestedly. I have same opinion with you that we could understand cause of the murder. But, I want for you to say more about why you thought that if you were in the situation, you would not kill him. I think that if you added more supporting sentence for your opinion, it would be clearer and stable writing.
    Thank you for your writing!

    ReplyDelete