Sunday, March 12, 2017

Hyun Seo Jung / Chapter 1 Part 5 B2 / Wed 1~2

These days, it is common to judge people by various sources. Among those, one of the most common strategies to judge people is 'birth order'. Birth order explains the position of one person in the family hierarchy. And there are two writers, Lucille K. Forer and Pamela Withers, who both emphasized the role of the birth order.

Forer's article emphasized the influences that birth order could affect on the characteristics of one person. He explained how birth order could establish one's personality by classifying children into 4 parts; the oldest, the middle, the youngest, and the only. And he analyzed each features of 4 kinds of children that is settled by birth order.

And Withers's article is about how birth order could explain the best or worst marital matches. This article also classified children into 4 parts like Forer's. At the first, he explains the personality of each children appeared by birth order . And then he analyze the best and worst matches using features associated with birth order.

Actually I agree with most of the features dealing with birth order. But I also think that there are too much generalizations on these ideas. Although these ideas are settled by countless surveys or procedures, there could be some exceptions. So to speak, when I read Forer's article, I agree that the first child tends to become parental when a sibling arrives and parents have a high expectation toward the first child for responsibility and capability as i'm the case. But I disagree with the opinion that the oldest have the belief that they are more adequate than any others in many situations. Also when I look at my youngest brother, I don't think he do not usually feel loneliness because he doesn't have much dependency on his parents, actually he shows high dependency than me. So this idea is seemed as just individual differences not a unified one to me. Moreover I had a same feeling when I read Wither's one. I admit that birth order could be a factor that could explain whom will be a best suitable person for marriage. However there are many other sources that could explain what could determine a best partner; such as financial ability, or appearance, etc. So I think it alone could not justify choosing adequate partner.

In other words, there are many explanations that match to my case but I think there are lots of generalization errors in these articles. So I suggest there should be more concrete examples or scientific figures to support their opinion perfectly.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm Sungtae Kim. I enjoyed reading the essay you wrote. In the essay I especially liked the first part where you summarized the two essays instead of just mentioning the title of two essays. Also the part where you explain about personal opinion, I felt that it is well organized because of effective usage of conjunctions. As reading I found some sentences that are hard to understand. For example, the seventh sentence in the paragraph second to the last, you denied the phrase 'he do not usually feel loneliness because he doesn't have much dependency on his parents'. I felt that this part is complicated so I think it would be better to separate this sentence into two sentences like 'The author said that the youngest rarely feel loneliness because he doesn't have much dependency on his parents. But when I look at my youngest brother, he shows higher dependency than me.' Other than that the essay is well-written. Thak you for sharing this essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm Hayeon Jin! I agree with you that what forer depicted is somewhat correct and somewhat wrong. I also appreciate the story of yours regarding your younger brother!

    ReplyDelete