Sunday, March 19, 2017

Seonghwan Cho / Chapter1 Part5 Final Draft / Wed 1-2

I read two readings dealing with birth order and its impact on one's own life. The first one written by Lucille K. Forer was especially interesting. Because the author is a professional researcher who studied birth order theory. It talks about interactions between family members and images children have of themselves and others with regard to birth order. After reading, I thought It is plausible but not scientific.

 

As an only son, there are some descriptions I can agree to. For example, It says the only child tends to prepare the situations where parents are absent due to working or other reasons. I consent to that because my characteristic actually coincide with it. I think I need to take care of myself, since I may not get a help from parents or friends whenever I want, in real life circumstance.

 

Considering other aspects, I can say the readings are plausible. Our personality is made with social interaction. And family members are the first people we interplay with. Birth order can affect this interaction greatly. So It looks very reasonable.

 

However. It is unscientific. The reason why I say so is It's a matter of social science. the nature of social science is probability and speciality. It means due to the individuality of human, the phenomenon can be observed at some environments. But It is not always so. We can say many exceptions. Even I can be the exception. According to the readings, the only child tends to maintain the child role even after being adult. But I want to be an independent adult as soon as possible. Consequently, birth order might be able to be a factor that affects our personality and real life, but we cannot specify it like a concrete science theory.

Seonghwan Cho / Chapter1 Part5 Final Draft / Wed 1-2

 

No comments:

Post a Comment