Sunday, March 12, 2017

Hayeon Jin/ Chapter 1 part 5 B-2/ wed 1-2

Both the articles written by Forer and Wither depict the importance of birth order in determining one's personality. They claim that parents treat their children differently according to children's birth hierarchy. For instance, oldest child is expected to act maturely and care his/her younger siblings. The youngest child, on the other hand, is free from those strains. I agree that birth order play a role in determining or building children's characteristic. However, I do not think that a person's birth order is a critical and ultimate factor in determining one's personality.

 

 Aside from one's birth order, other environment can change how person behaves. A perfect example is me. I am the only child, and according to Forer, the only child does not need to take parental role and therefore is childish. However, that is completely incorrect. Since I am the only child, I need to be very responsible and take care of myself all the times. The feeling that all the eyes of parents are on me makes me behave as excellent as I can.

 

Everyone is raised in different environment. Therefore, absolute factor that can determine one's characteristic does not exist. For such reason, saying that birth order is straightly related to child's personality is committing fallacy of hasty generalization.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm Jeeny Jung from your class. I was interested in you writing since the main idea was similar with mine. And I also liked what you wrote about yourself. The real examples were helpful in understanding the writing! Thank you for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi~ I am hyobin Jeon. I read your opinion interestingly. Because there are no only child in my family, I had not thought about case of the only child. But through reading your opinion, I could consider once again for the case that is not applied to me. Thank you for posting your opinion!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hayeon. I'm your classmate soyoung. I think your opinion is novel because your opinion is the reverse of mine. your writing gave me a opportunity to reconsider what I thought. So as I think again the only child's personalities, It makes sense that the only child is mature rather than childish. It seems to be a problem of possibility.

    ReplyDelete