Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Yejee OH/definition of friendship final draft/ Wed1-2

 

The True Meaning of Friendship

 

          Friendship is typically defined as a type of relationship between two people who care about each other. But such a dry definition doesn't cover the concept of friendship. Consider these examples: A friend is the first person you want to call when you hear good news and to gossip about. A friend remembers that you don't like cucumbers on your sandwich. A friend will accompany you on the most of boring errands and make them seem fun. By reflecting these anecdotes, friendship is priceless and meaningful, but that's not to say friendship is easy. It demands time and effort, and it requires that people put someone other than themselves first sometimes. Moreover, many qualities including honesty, trustworthiness, loyalty and unconditional acceptance are necessary for a good friendship. But of all the values, a friend can provide an immense amount of support and help to find the best in me.

 

          I remember having the most valuable friend of my life when I was in 5th grade. As a transferred student in International school, I was frightened by language barrier and worried about the fact that I will not fit in with school and end up being an outcast. I was intimidated when teachers or classmates ask me in English and I would find myself stutter and could not answer right away. First day of numeracy class was the day I met my best friend. Ellen came across to me and said hi gaily. Because she knew I was not familiar with taking classes in English, she sat next to me in class and helped me out by explaining again whenever I was stuck with the context or any grammatical problems. I was flustered by her kindness, but soon I opened up my mind and tried to be more friendly and talk to her with my poor speaking skills. Even it took quite a time to interact and understand what each other is trying to say, she never gave up being kind and never hesitated to help me out. I studied hard and tried to speak more in order to talk to her. I wanted to know her more and share many issues more than numeracy class. Even speaking fluently takes time and endless effort, I wanted badly to share the feeling of intimacy and special bond between the two of us. After years of school together and hanging out in the weekends often, she became the person whom I can share all my feelings and values. She was the motivation to reach for my higher goals in English and courage to accost other friends. If it weren't for her good personality and willingness to help the people in need, I wouldn't be so open-minded and willing to reach out for help.

 

          Every time I remind of Ellen, I remember her invaluable support and advice when I was in need. Throughout the school life I spent with Ellen, whether I had highly satisfying test results or I was scolded by my teacher, she was there to congratulate together or to share the sorrow. Therefore, when I think of true friendship, I reflect Ellen. I remind of her outroverted personality and positive attitude to friends without being judgemental. More than any values for friendship that people consider the most, I consider a true friend who inspires you to live up to your best potential, not to indulge your basest drives.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment